Conditional Trades

Cheapthief

Conditional Trades

Post by Cheapthief » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 pm

The recent trade between Steelheads and Whalers had conditional terms, much like you see in some NHL trades. For example, "If you win the cup, the 4th rd pick becomes a 3rd, etc"

I think these trades are fine, but we might need to consider a cap on just how much value can be conditional. We don't want situations where its, "I'll trade you my four best players and if you win the cup I get your top two farm players."

Some type of cap on how much money, and how much value in picks can be transferred.

A total of $2? Moving up no more than one spot on the pick? Or two spots?

These conditional trades also cause a bit more work for Bob. For example, he would need to monitor someone who traded a second round pick, while that pick isn't necessarily theirs to give based on conditions. If there are conditions possibly associated with that second round pick, it cannot be moved.

Anyway, I started this thread to hear your thoughts on what you think is best for the spirit of the pool in terms of some sort of cap on conditional value.

Fire away.

Zach6668

Re: Conditional Trades

Post by Zach6668 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 pm

As the commish of that other league, conditional trades mean exactly zero extra work for me. We kind of leave it up to the two parties to settle it on their own whenever the time comes up.

I suppose it would be easy to sticky a thread with a master list of open conditions, though. They really don't come up all that often.

That second point is why it's probably not important to really have any set rules. They really don't come up all that often. And I've yet to see any condition that is anything of any real value, in either league. Usually just a pick upgrade, or a small amount of cash.

Even then, I wouldn't really want to put a very tight limit on it, some creativity is nice to keep in the league. If you do a limit, make it just so it keeps out the extreme stuff (which, to my knowledge, has never happened), but not a limit that hinders the kind of trades that are already going on.

Cheapthief

Post by Cheapthief » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 am

Yeah, that's aligned with where I'm at. I guess the only reason to create a cap is to ensure against anything that could be really silly and extreme. There are some extreme scenarios that would seem pretty shitty.

Ottawa_biatch

Post by Ottawa_biatch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:25 am

For sure, I'm in

CanadianGothic

Post by CanadianGothic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:05 am

If any picks are included in such conditions they should be identified on the draft picks page to prevent them from being traded.

Big M Bob

Post by Big M Bob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:57 pm

I have concerns with conditions being out of whack so that a team might say not trade with one team because it might help them which makes their conditions worth less but with reasonable limits that shouldn't be a problem.

I feel strongly that no actual player either on the farm or active rosters can be part of a condition.