New Waiver Wire FAB Details Discussion

CanadianGothic

Re: New Waiver Wire FAB Details Discussion

Post by CanadianGothic » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm

I agree with John that it should be based on current standings because it's more accurate as to which teams are worse. A crappy team at the end of last year may have a bunch of farm players to call up and may improve at the auction and during the season making last years standings less representative of how strong/weak the team currently is.

Big M Bob

Post by Big M Bob » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:37 pm

CanadianGothic wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm
I agree with John that it should be based on current standings because it's more accurate as to which teams are worse. A crappy team at the end of last year may have a bunch of farm players to call up and may improve at the auction and during the season making last years standings less representative of how strong/weak the team currently is.
but they only gain the advantage once on the tiebreaker and then move to the bottom of the list. If you go by the standings it means the worst team always wins all ties all season which is a much larger advantage.

Also during the 1st pickup which is usually the largest and most important we will be going with last year's standings anyway since we won't have enough AHL games played to use the current season.

CanadianGothic

Post by CanadianGothic » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Good points!

Pkdealer

Post by Pkdealer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:05 pm

If we all start with a huge number (lets say 100000) the chance of ties would be minimal right ?

Big M Bob

Post by Big M Bob » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Pkdealer wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:05 pm
If we all start with a huge number (lets say 100000) the chance of ties would be minimal right ?
Ties will most likely happen on 0 unit bids I think but yes the higher the number of units the less chance of there being any ties.

Pkdealer

Post by Pkdealer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Maybe I am not understanding how the fab pick ups will work. If we each get let’s say 1,000,000 fab units at the start of the year the chances of a random tie bid have to be tiny right ???

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:33 am

I like everything Daniel laid out in the original post. I just have one question regarding this potential issue.

Say we have 500 units. I bid 400 on Ron Francis, and 400 on Geoff Sanderson. At xx:xx pm on Sunday, Francis gets sent back down and I don't catch it in time. The program awards me Ron Francis at 6:00. Someone else wins Geoff Sanderson with a bid of 325.

Will the program know to only award players currently on an NHL roster, or is this a case of too bad, pay more attention at pickup time, better luck next week?

Big M Bob

Post by Big M Bob » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:38 am

Jay wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:33 am
I like everything Daniel laid out in the original post. I just have one question regarding this potential issue.

Say we have 500 units. I bid 400 on Ron Francis, and 400 on Geoff Sanderson. At xx:xx pm on Sunday, Francis gets sent back down and I don't catch it in time. The program awards me Ron Francis at 6:00. Someone else wins Geoff Sanderson with a bid of 325.

Will the program know to only award players currently on an NHL roster, or is this a case of too bad, pay more attention at pickup time, better luck next week?
The process will be manual for figuring out who gets who so anything like that should be caught.

Everybody's bids whether successful or not will be made public at the same time so we should catch anything like that happening.

Zach6668

Post by Zach6668 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Big M Bob wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:37 pm
CanadianGothic wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm
but they only gain the advantage once on the tiebreaker and then move to the bottom of the list. If you go by the standings it means the worst team always wins all ties all season which is a much larger advantage.

Also during the 1st pickup which is usually the largest and most important we will be going with last year's standings anyway since we won't have enough AHL games played to use the current season.
Sorry, I know I'm extremely late here, but...

The bolded above is only true to the extent that the last place team has any FAB "money" left. Once they make one big pick up, that's basically the end of it. (Assuming we think people might bid 80% of their stack, as in your previous examples).

I'd also point out that NHL waivers go by standings at the time of the claim, and we love dearly emulating the NHL.

Not really feeling hard either way, though.

And maybe you're right about the zero FAB bids being the wrench in this whole thing.