YES
63%
NO
38%

Total votes: 16

Cheapthief

VOTE Cap for this year

Post by Cheapthief » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:13 pm

Expanding the roster to 28 and not allowing use of the reserved list begs the question if we should, just for this year, raise the in season cap to $95, an average of $1 per what could normally be used for a reserve bench.

Make it $95, or just leave it as is.

Ottawa_biatch

Re: VOTE Cap for this year

Post by Ottawa_biatch » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:13 pm

Why would it be $5? If a pickup is $0.25, wouldn’t it make more sense to raise it $1.25 if anything?

I’m not a huge fan of changing the rules mid season. People went into the season thinking it was a certain set of rules, and now it seems certain teams will benefit from these changes and other teams won’t because of this. I just don’t think it’s fair to just change the rules bc slightly over half the GMs agreed to it. It sets a precedence that anything can change mid season if enough GMs agree to it.

Zach6668

Post by Zach6668 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 pm

I voted yes, but the more I think about it, I wish I hadn't. This is a false dichotomy.

By far the best resolution is to simply allow players to be sent to the reserve for any reason. Bob and Daniel noted it was extra work for them because apparently people in this league can't count to $90 or something, but it should be balanced out by not having to do the work confirming every reserve transaction is in fact injured by whatever unspecified definition we're using. The website already has the built in function of showing the date and time when a player is placed on reserve, so the 7 days isn't difficult to keep track of.

Ottawa_biatch

Post by Ottawa_biatch » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 pm

Hypothetical scenario.

Team A has made trades after the draft and is at the $90 cap with his trades. He’s a contender.

Team B is also a contender but doesn’t want to mortgage his future thru trades and has a cap around $65. Currently on paper, even though Team A has a cap of around $90, Team B feels his team doesn’t need to make trades bc it’s competitive with Team A, and he knows Team A is kinda at best it can be bc he is at the ceiling.

Then we make this rule change to $95. Team A now has the ability to add an additional $5 rental via trade. How is this fair to Team B who was under the understanding that Team A was at the ceiling but now has room to make another move.

I don’t think this is fair to to everyone, it helps some and hurts others, and people went into the season thinking the rules were a certain way and now they aren’t.

And also my team sucks, so I’m Team Z. The rule doesn’t really affect me. I just think in the fairness of the league, this becomes a slippery slope if we allow these changes.

Big M Bob

Post by Big M Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 pm

in conversation with another owner I made these points about allowing the use of reserve to allow for cap juggling which I think is the worst option.
keeping last year's rule. We're already expanding the roster. I hate the idea of juggling rosters to keep cap compliant. I think we should get rid of it if we can when things are regular but I don't know how. Basic idea of the pool is to put your best lineup in for every game and having expensive players who aren't hurt on your reserve is against that

especially with the taxi squad
I've never liked the cap juggling because it potentially leaves a team with less than their best lineup when everybody is healthy and I've always thought the first principle of the pool is that a team should have their best lineup every night. I might be wrong but that's the core for how I view most things in the pool.

Ottawa_biatch

Post by Ottawa_biatch » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 pm

Also, not trying to start issues. But can we please get the rules on the website. It’s a pain to have it on fcp, bc it’s a gambling site and blocked at my work laptop.

Zach6668

Post by Zach6668 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 pm

if the point of the pool is to ice your best lineup every year, just get rid of owners and have bots set lineups

a keeper league involves balancing immediate games and long-term progress... if having to juggle $95 of players in a $90 cap world results in slightly less than optimal lineup sometimes, that's part of a keeper league

Zach6668

Post by Zach6668 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:41 pm

Can we stop with anonymous private messages?

This is OUR pool. We all have a right to discuss and decide how the rules should work. Everyone should feel comfortable discussing these things openly.

If there's something about this league that is turning people away from having these discussions in public, that's an issue.

I've never been in a league where a rule change isn't discussed amongst all owners in a public forum before a decision is made. This is so bizarre.

Big M Bob

Post by Big M Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:46 pm

I said every game Zach not every year. There's a difference.

Within the broad season long strategy that teams have to rebuild or try for a championship there is a core philosophy that all rules should encourage teams to ice the best possible lineup on any given night from the roster they have. There are of course some things on the margins that bend that but we should keep those to a minimum as much as possible. I know I feel more strongly on this than others do probably.

Big M Bob

Post by Big M Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Zach6668 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:41 pm
Can we stop with anonymous private messages?

This is OUR pool. We all have a right to discuss and decide how the rules should work. Everyone should feel comfortable discussing these things openly.

If there's something about this league that is turning people away from having these discussions in public, that's an issue.

I've never been in a league where a rule change isn't discussed amongst all owners in a public forum before a decision is made. This is so bizarre.
Give me a fucking break.

I'm chatting with somebody about one thing and it morphs into something else and also a pool issue is brought up.

This was a conversation that could have just as easily been in public but not everything is going to be. Maybe look in the mirror at the tone that you take when somebody doesn't agree with you for why some people don't want to post their thoughts on things.