2021/22 Playoff predictions round 2

bigguyren68

2021/22 Playoff predictions round 2

Post by bigguyren68 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:18 pm

So slow day at work today can only mean one thing, analyze some teams, As always these are meant in no way to offend, but give my opinion (usually wrong).
3 of the 4 match-ups will feature the first and second place teams from each division playing each other, with Steelheads being the only 5 or 6 seed to advance.

For my rankings players had to play min 10 NHL games and used NHL stats with AHL scoring.

I used 0.600+ for a top forward, and 0.400+ for a depth forward.
I used 0.400+ for a top defense, and 0.200+ for a depth defense.

Greaseballs (1) Vs Big M's(4)
season series Greaseballs 4-2
Goalies- Both teams have full goalies. One goalie choice restrictions, Greaseballs - Colorado game 2, St Louis game 4 and 6. For Big M's - Minnesota game 3,5, and 7.
Defense- Neither team has any top defenseman(ghost just missed out), but Big M's have the edge on depth 8 to 6.
Forwards- Both teams are stacked at forward with 6 top guys. Greaseball has slight edge at depth 4 to 3.

Overview- Probably the closest match-up of this round. After game 1(12 nhl games) the rest of the series is 6-9 games per night. While Big M's have the edge at 17-16 usable players, it close enough that it should come down to goaltending stars that have the bigger night. I'm thinking Minnesota goalies will decide this and predict Greaseballs in 7

Broadway (2) Vs Swackers (3)
season series Broadway 4-2
Goalies- Broadway have full goalies, somehow Swackers has 2!!!!! empty game nights. Games 4 and 6 (like his beloved Leafs, Dave is not used to playing past first round and did not plan ). One choice restrictions Broadway - Pittsburgh game 2 and 3, St Louis game 4 and 6. For Swackers Philadelphia game 2.
Defense- Swackers leads 2 to1 in top defense , but Broadway have the edge on depth 5 to 4.
Forwards- Both teams have lots of top forwards, Broadway 7 and Swackers 6. Broadway has a huge edge at depth 8 to 3.

Overview- Normally this would be a good match-up but the goalie situation has turned this from a Broadway edge to a Broadway probable massacre . With a total of 15 0.400+ forwards to use by Broadway, Swackers will have to use some Magic to pull this rabbit out. Prediction Broadway in 5.

Puck Warfare Vs Steelheads
season series Puck Warfare 4-2
Goalies- Both teams have full goalies. One choice restrictions Puck Warfare - Vancouver game 1, Nashville game 3 and 6, Winnipeg game 5 and 7. For Steelheads Colorado game 2, San Jose game 4, Chicago game 6.
Defense- Both teams boast 2 top defenseman, but Puck Warfare have the edge on depth 6 to 4.
Forwards- Puck Warfare have 7 top forwards compared to Steelheads 4. At depth Warfare has slight edge 8-7.

Overview- Well, Jay has been knocking at the AHL title door for a while and finally gets to showcase his team. He is tied with Broadway with 15 0.400+ forwards and tied with Cheap Thieves with 8 0.200+ defense, and that means that no weak spots will show up, even with the short nights. The lack of options at goalies could haunt him, but I suspect his skaters will take him to round 3. Prediction Puck Warfare in 5.

Cheap Thieves Vs Canadian Gothic
season series Cheap Thieves 4-1
Goalies- Both teams have full goalies. One choice restrictions Thieves - NYI game 2, Vegas game 4, Calgary game 7. For Gothic Florida game 5 and 7.
Defense- Thieves have 2 top defenseman, while Gothics has none. At depth Thieves also have the edge at 6 to 4.
Forwards- Both teams have top forward Thieves 6-5, and at depth Thieves ahead 7-4.

Overview- 2 division rivals going at it again. While Cheap Thieves beat Gothic by 63 in +/- this year, the division title was not decided until near the end of the season. On paper it looks like Cheap Thieves is leading every category, Forwards 13-9 , defense 8-4 and better goalie set. They should win the series. but Gothics wont be swept, prediction Cheap Thieves in 6

Reject cup

Shootloose Vs Magic
season series Shootloose 4-1
Goalies- Shootloose have full goalies, Magic has 2 empty game 5 and 7. One choice restrictions Shootloose - NYR game 4 and 6. Magic Ottawa game 1 and 3.
Defense- Neither team has any top defenseman, and hardly any depth 3 to 2.
Forwards- Only shootloose has a top forward. and slight edge at depth 5 to 3.

Overview- This is clearly going to be the lowest scoring series. Why I even analyzed this match-up proves how much of a degenerate I am. With only 5 usable skaters I don't know how Magic won a series..... oh wait they played Mustangs. Mystery solved. I suspect Shootloose will be inspired to play well in memory of John. Prediction Shootloose in 5.

Scarborough Shooters Vs PkDealers
season series Shooters 5-1
Goalies- Both teams have full goalies. One choice restrictions Shooters - Pittsburgh game 2, St Louis game 4, Anaheim game 6. For Pkdealers Kings game 1 and 5, Philly game3, Arizona game 6..
Defense- Both teams have 2 top defenseman, but shooters have the edge on depth 5 to 4.
Forwards- Shooters have big edge on top forwards 5-3. and slight edge at depth 7 to 6.

Overview- Another close match-up. While Shooters have edges in forwards, the fact that his big 3 only play 3 games this round will hurt his chances. Based on what's on the other side, I suspect this series will decide the Reject title. Even with only 3 games by McDavid, I think Shooters pulls through. Prediction Shooters in 7.