2023/24 Pre-season, Pre-trade projections.

bigguyren68

2023/24 Pre-season, Pre-trade projections.

Post by bigguyren68 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:06 pm

Time for the highly anticipated, never correct pre season prediction.
The October 1st draft day set the teams on to the path of greatness. Last year we had 15-17 teams vying for the AHL Cup with Puck Warfare coming out on top. We also had a competition from 3-5 teams for the Conner Bedard sweepstakes with Arp coming up victorious. I expect a lot of player movements to occur between today and first game. Trying something different this year and will be listing the teams top 6 forwards and top 4 defense rankings, but then a general depth ranking for others players. Goalies are a nightmare this year as we had to use 3 5-game nights to get a 75 game schedule in. The NHL has moved this year to a lot of games on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday and fewer 4-8 game nights. October 24th and January 13th will feature all 32 NHL teams playing.

As always my comments/predictions are not meant to offend anyone. They are just the blunt facts.

AHL WEST
1-Shootloose
I know, you are shocked. For the first time in years, I'm not predicting Puck Warfare at the one spot. Reject cup winners from 2 years ago, had a great regulars season last year and I think will be a top team in the Eddie Shack this year. Top forwards are a B-, and top Defense A-. The goalies are an A as well. Defense depth is weaker but forwards are solid. Last years top defenseman in the league Erik K, will be a wild card at new home in Pittsburgh, which could greatly affect Shootloose's team. Tony's team will definitely be a horse in the race for the AHL title. I predict him to win division over Puck Warfare and make a solid playoff run.

2- Puck Warfare
The defending champ is back, but his team is greatly decimated compared to last year. Top forwards are still A-, top defense are C and goalies C+. Depth weakness becomes more evident as forwards are decent, but depth defense is very weak. It's great that Pasta, Draisaitl, and Bouchard will lead the way, but after that there is a drop off that can't be overcome without trades. 2022-23 AHL champ Jay can sit and enjoy his victory chocolates, however this will be a down year. Better enjoy them while they last.

3-Red Ravens
I predicted this team to rise last year, however it looks like I was a year early. Bryan had a great draft and picked up a bunch of solid defense. Top forwards are a C, and top defense are B+, while goalies are a C. He has one of the strongest depth defense in the league as well as depth at forwards. Goalies will not play as well during the regular season. Two of the teams, Philly and Pittsburgh, play a lot of similar nights and have a lot of the same empty nights. Red ravens should make the playoff, and depending on how well the defense can help, can easily upset a top team or 2.

4-Winning Combo
Winning Combo has one of the most balanced teams in the league. Top forwards are C+, defense B-, Goalies C+, and depth , while not outstanding, is by no means weak. Toffoli and Kopitar were nice auction pickup, just health might be an issue. Biggest weakness currently is goalie situation. Individually the goalies play lots of games and are solid. As a group all 3 goalie sets are in the same division, and share way too many empty nights. This will corrected before playoffs, however going too long can hurt chances.

5- Magically Delicious
Every year it is the same old story for Dan. Big Big forwards, screw the defense and goalies. One of the major downfalls of this league is not making the draft. Being forced to have a signed team pre-draft causes a huge handicap for the year. Top forwards are B-, top defence D-, and goalies D. Depth does not exist. Signing Crosby to $14.00 was a huge overpay in my opinion. Couture, Reinhart and Hall will generate team wins but not enough to compete. With all his picks owned, I assume this will be a rebuilding year.

AHL EAST
1- Cheap Thieves
Once again I'm forced to predict the Thieves as the favourite. When teams are rebuilding this is the result of a perfect model that can be used. Use 3 years to gut the team, buy bad contracts, trade 3 years of cash for future cash, trade all rentals for picks, and draft well. Result is be competitive for next 4-7 years. Top Forwards are A, top defence A, goalies A-. Depth at defense is very strong and average+ at forwards. Easily drafted the best defense at auction to go with current players. I suspect Weager will have a bounce back year. Trading Hintz hurt but Dylan Cozen looks to be the real deal (easy when you have a giraffe to play with). Doubled up on Pittsburgh with 2 top 6 forwards but I'm sure this will get fixed ASAP. The road to the Cup goes through Cheap Thieves.

2-Steelheads
Last years division winner, the Steelheads, made big splashes last year and traded for a great team. They went on to win division, a playoff round but come up short of eventual champ. This year was tougher with less money and fewer options. Top forwards are B+, top defense B+ (Makar by himself starts team with a C) and goalies C-. Depth will have issues, as too many $0.25 players for now. Knowing how much Chris loves to trade, I suspect within 2 weeks Chris will have all his ducks in a row, and fix all issues.

3 Canadian Gothic
Gothic looked promising to start last year, but missed the playoffs. Before the start of season, injuries killed him. Top forwards B, Top defense C, goalies C+. Forward depth is good, defense not so much. Dale clearly spent his money wisely and made a splash at auctions of this year, basically filling in all holes to make for a completive team. The 2 time AHL champ is always a threat and should make the playoffs, and challenge to upset any of the top teams.

4- Underdogs
The Underdogs should see a marked improvement over last year. Even trading away Makar, the future value helped offset the pain. Top defenseman B-, top forwards A-, and goalies C. JP was an auction machine. With $45 he was able to buy a top forward lineup. Underdogs should compete for a playoff spot. Without owning his first, he has no reason to trade rentals and should easily make the playoffs.

5-Mustangs
The Mustangs set a record at draft day. They increased the strength of their farm by 150% within 6 minutes of the draft (Fantilli, Leonard, and Barlow). I would compare the Mustangs to the owner's beloved Toronto Maple Leafs, however at least the Leafs have regular season success. Top forwards are C, top defence a D, and goalies a B-. Depth at both positions is non-existent. The one good thing about the Mustangs, the have a great farm core (top 5 in the league), and will be a very competitive team in next few years, sadly not this year. They will not make the playoffs, or if they do, will make an early exit.

AHL NORTH
1-Big M's
Every fricken year, I have to pick this team as a top 2 in the division. Top forwards are A+, defense B-, and goalies C-. Depth is strong at forwards and above average on defense. This is the first time in known history that Big M's will not have a top 3 defense to start the season. Gone are the good old days of Barrie, Krug, Vatanen, and Josi for $3.00 total. KK and the giraffe have the value with low contracts that allows Bob the luxury of overpaying for Tkachuk. With the demise of Shortstacker's, step back of Greaseball, as well as the tanking Whalers, and still a year away Ingman, this division should be a lock for the Big M's. A solid playoff run is expected and a trip to the finals is in the cards.

2-Greaseballs
Last year thanks to a great trade Greaseballs had a great season. With rising contracts, overall team will be weaker. Brian who historically has had great auction buys, was limited in funds this year. Top forwards B+, top defense B-, goalies C+. Depth will have some issues, but still decent enough to compete. The resurgence of RHN means he will have a great contract. Greaseballs has had a competitive team 4 straight years, and will compete again, just tough to beat Big M's. Playoffs anything can happen

3 Ingman
Missed the playoff again last year, however should easily get in this year. Top forwards B, top defense B-, and goalies C+. Depth is good at both ends. Matty Beniers looks to break out this year. Having Matthews AND Rantanen helps as well as Dahlin on defense. Ingman could easily finish above Greaseballs, but will be hard pressed to surpass Big M's. Ingman will make the playoffs and has a chance to upset in playoffs.

4-Shortstackers
The 2-time AHL champion and 3-time champions league winner is clearly still on the further decline. As with magically delicious, not attending draft day does hurt his chances. Top forwards C+, defense C+, goalies C. Depth is ok at forwards but not on defense. After Fox, McKinnon and Suzuki, the rest of the team has some slightly overpriced players due to having to be resigned. Salary increases have whittled away Shortstackers and the full rebuild is around the corner. I expect no playoffs but a run at last overall.

5-Whalers
One of the most successful last place teams . With the second coming of the other Conner, the Whalers will start the road to success with this final year of tanking. There is not point in ranking them as all rentals will be traded shortly. Maybe Arp can follow the Cheap Thieves playbook and have a completive team again in 2 years.

AHL SOUTH
1-Broadway
Unlike last years Toronto Maple Leafs, once again Broadway had a great regular season and then shit the bed in playoffs. This has become a tradition of this NYC based team. Top forwards are A, defense B+, and goalies C+. Forward depth is very very strong and defense is also above average. The window for success is closing in on Broadway. Cheap contracts for his great players are rising and soon will be an issue. 2 more years to win and then team will step back. Having Conner Mcdavid means any game can be won. I predict this team to contend with Eagle for division and make a playoff run once again this year.

2-Screaming Eagles
Almost a pick-em for Broadway and Eagles this year. Top forwards are A-, defence B, and goalies B-. The gap has been closing for Eagles. While they came up short in regulars season they crushed it in the playoffs to reach the finals. Eagles showed the patience required at auction. He drafted his one player Malkin at 2:26 pm and then watched and waited until 7:44 to do waiver pickups. Should easily finish top 3 in Tiger Williams and another finals appearance will not surprise.

3-Swacker
Swackers will have to most unpredictable team in the league. He has 4-9 players that have lots of risk and potential for breakouts. if they all flop, miss the playoffs, if they all succeed, cup contender. Top defense C+, forwards B_, goalies B-. Swackers had a mostly signed team this year and grabbed a great pick up in DeAngelo. While I don't think Swackers is a playoff team, the fact that Stacker, Whalers, Dealer, and Scarborough Shooters are not destined to do well, will almost assure them a playoff spot.

4-Scarbourgh Shooters
The trade away of McJesus meant the start of a new rebuild for Scarborough Shooters. Top forwards C+, top defense C_, and goalies C+. Depth as expected is weak. Not much is expected from this team. Farm looks very promising. As the manager, I would consider trading away Matty Knives to Mustangs as probably 2 firsts and Fantalli might come back in the deal.

5-PKdealers
Except for the Covid shortened season, the Pkdealers for only the second time in 8 years will have an empty goalie spot on schedule. Top forwards C, top defense C+, goalies A-. Depth is not there at forwards or defense. With only $42 at auction, not much is expected. Farm is getting stronger and next 2-5 years should be good.

Champions predictions winners
Lemieux Big M's
Yzerman Cheap Thieves
Bonk Broadway
Bonsignore Eagles

Survivor winner
Big M's

Over-all AHL Playoffs

Tiger conference has top contenders Big M's/Eagle/Broadway
playoff fighters Greaseballs, Ingamn, Swackers
reject Whalers, Shortstacker, Scarb shooters, Pkdealers

Eddie Shack has Cheap Thieves over Shootloose and Puck Warfare
Playoff teams are Gothic/Ravens/Steelheads/Combo/Underdogs
Reject team Mustangs/Magic

That will be my prediction
Big M's (over Eagles) in the finals. over Thieves(over shootloose)
Best of luck to all teams.

CanadianGothic

Re: 2023/24 Pre-season, Pre-trade projections.

Post by CanadianGothic » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:12 pm

I thought I made the playoffs last year

Ingmen

Re: 2023/24 Pre-season, Pre-trade projections.

Post by Ingmen » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:13 pm

You didn't you lost to me in the Toilet bowl finals.