Repost Of Anti Tanking Guideline From Old Forum

Big M Bob

Repost Of Anti Tanking Guideline From Old Forum

Post by Big M Bob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:43 pm

I think it's important that we clarify in the rules that each team is expected to put in their best lineup for each game.

Things that teams will be expected to do.

1. Dress their best players who are available for that night.

2. Use an OT player and order of players for the shoot out designed to win on that night.

3. Not have long term injured players or players who are in the minors on their active roster if they have empty space on their reserve list or healthy players on reserve.

4. When the rosters expand at the end of the season players who are on their farm should be used if they are better than other players available for a game.

5. Teams will still have discretion to get players into 10 games but when they sit a player to get another into 10 games the player sitting shouldn't be one of their top players who was available for that night but rather the 6th forward or 4th d-man.

6. Not sit out players at the end of the season to protect their contract status for the next season. If a player is clearly one of your best you must use them whenever they are playing.

Whalers

Re: Repost Of Anti Tanking Guideline From Old Forum

Post by Whalers » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Whats the ramification if you dont adhere to these rules?

Big M Bob

Re: Repost Of Anti Tanking Guideline From Old Forum

Post by Big M Bob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Whalers wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:24 pm
Whats the ramification if you dont adhere to these rules?
When I first posted these I laid out a series of steps that might be used starting with a warning in private.

I personally feel like the best way to handle it is a warning or discussion in private. The warning would be for something that is black and white such as making Tie Domi your OT player when you have Gretzky available. The discussion would often lead to things being just a judgement call. For example Adrian Kempe has points in 5 straight games and his usage on LA has changed. If I decided to use him instead of a more established player it might look like tanking if I was a rebuilding team but with a discussion it would just be strategy.

I personally think if after some warning and discussions somebody was still "tanking" we would just kick them out of the league. No you lose a draft pick or money. If after being talked to somebody didn't change their behaviour we wouldn't want them in our pool. I like this approach because so much of it can be a grey area and I don't like arbitrary penalties. Somebody could just have a brain fart and that shouldn't cost them something tangible. That does open us up to shot taking but in the end if the penalty is death that should make people think twice. With our group in this pool I don't anticipate we will ever get close to having to actually penalize anybody.

The above is why I think the best way to handle things if somebody thinks there is a problem is to message me and then a discussion in private can take place. If somebody continued to have too many brain farts after a private discussion I would make it public.